Re: what silence?

florian schimpf (z455bkc who-is-at z.zgs.de)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:52:39 +0000

Mike Cole wrote:

> Folks need something to think and chat about? Here is a question which
> I think could use some discussion.
>
> Why is it that in a variety of textbooks, Vygotsky is referred to as a
> contextualist? I have asked this question before, and it tends to get
> the kind of silence that indicates everyone is busy grading exams or
> is on vacation in Hawaii. :-)
During my research for my thesis I got a similar problem in German
books. Vygotsky is charakterized in many different ways, e.g.
Psychologist, Philosopher, Linguist....
Mike, could you be so kind to explain for a non native speaker the
meaning of contextualist in a more specific way?

Florian Schimpf
Hegelstrasse 3
D-71640 Ludwigsburg