RE: Family microcultures

Chris Francovich (cfran who-is-at micron.net)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:28:05 -0700

Elsa:

I am just now reading an article that may be significant in addressing yo=
ur
thoughts on personality and culture.
Theodore Schwartz, 1989, The Structure of National Cultures. In
Understanding the USA - A cross-cultural perspective. Peter Funke (ed.)
Tubingen: Gunter Narr Verlag

Hope this helps

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Elsa de Mattos [mailto:emattos@magiclink.com.br]
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 1999 10:29 PM
To: xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu
Subject: Family microcultures

Thank you for all of you that gave me clues about the functionalist
pesrspective. As a psychologist I tended to considered functionalism from=
my
own backgroung and prior readings in the psychological field (Wundt works
were examples of functionalism to me). I highly appreciated the commentar=
ies
from sociological/philosophical perspectives.
I want to here some comentary from you on an issue I was recently discuss=
ing
in a teacher professional develpment workshop in which i was facilitator
assistant.
People tend to strongly rely on genetic/inherited or sterotyped aspects
when considering personality, I mean, they rely on personality traits and
other static aspects. But, in my opinion, we have to consider more deeply
the dynamic aspects. In the discussion with teachers, they were referring=
the relationship between culture and personality in classroom practices.
They were considering personality in a very superficial/static way, talki=
ng
about how student's personality frame learning styles (a concept that I
don't like very much). I started to think and I want to bring them to thi=
nk
together with me in a more dynamic way. I asked them to reflect on the
question: isn't that family microcultures that frame personality ?
What do you think about this question ? What could be a good development =
it ?
Hope someone can help me on this.
Elsa