RE: Portfolio assessment

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:20:31 -0500

Hi Ricardo and everybody--

This is a good question whether it is a good idea to make any distinguish
between these two terms or not. A lot of people would probably treat them
as the same. Here is my try: I think that learning assessment involves
providing evidence of learning (or its absence), while evaluation involves a
value judgement of the assessment results. I'm not sure that this
difference of the terms makes sense. I personally would not care about the
differences as I defined them. Do you know any other ways to distinguish
these terms?

> An other question:
> What a skatehold is? (I looked in some English-Portuguese dictionaries
> but did not find that word)

I my view, stakeholder is someone who has interest and investment in some
enterprise or activity. Here is what Webster's dictionary says, "1) a
person entrusted with the stakes of two or more persons betting against one
another and charged with duty of delivering the stakes to the winner. 2) a
person entrusted with a custody of property or money that is the subject of
litigation or of contention between rival claimants in which the holder
claims no right or property interest." Interesting that my definition of
the word is nothing to do with the dictionary.

Eugene