RE: just a little more portfolio assessment

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:02:55 -0500

Hi Bill and everybody--

Thanks for your interesting and provocative (as usual) reply. I just want
to share a quote from an article from Chronicle of High Education that I
think is relevant:

"...a man waiting for a bus cannot help but notice the young mother next to
him, beaming as she coos to her baby. The man leans over for a peek. "What a
beautiful little girl!" he exclaims. "Oh, this is nothing," answers the
mother, "you should see her photographs."
...Whether they realize it or not, many academics and administrators share
the young mother's confusion between reality and surrogates for it. The
mother believes that photographs are more important than how her baby looks
in real life..."

"Reliance on Test Scores Is a Conspiracy of Lethargy"
By WENDY M. WILLIAMS, The Chronicle of Higher Education, Date: 10/10/97,
Section: Opinion, Page: A60

I like the word "surrogate." I think that serving multiple purposes, it is
not so much a distortion of the reality or a mediation of the reality but a
boundary object for negotiation among communities (e.g., academics,
administrators, politicians, parents).

What do you think?

Eugene