Re: Left-handers and learning

Daniel F Webster (websterd who-is-at U.Arizona.EDU)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:23:55 -0700 (MST)

Phil,
Not sure about the left-handedness re: learning; however, Dr.
Baylah David, University of Arizona, has done research claiming
relationship between left-handedness and addiction. There may be some
further data available from her directly or her dissertation.

Good Luck,
Dan Webster

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Phil Graham wrote:

> Does anyone know much about differences in the ways left-handed people
> learn stuff (indeed, do they learn fundamentally differently? Does it have
> anything to do with left-right handedness ? I dunno ...). I ask because I
> watched a small triumph as my son Matt (6) finally learned to tie his
> shoelaces.
>
> When he managed to do it, the way he did it was not only completely swapped
> around from left to right from the way I had continually shown him, but
> also from front to back. Watching him overcome a relatively large obstacle,
> it dawned on me how completely differently from me he interprets suff
> spatially. I've noticed differences before, but this particular instance
> really exaggerated the different way he sees stuff to me and the other
> right-handers he's surrounded by.
>
> Phil
>

> Phil Graham
> pw.graham who-is-at student.qut.edu.au
> http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/8314/index.html

( Daniel Frank Webster, PhD, Project Coordinator )
( DISCOVER Project, College of Education )
( University of Arizona )
( email: websterd who-is-at u.arizona.edu )
( home page: http://www.u.arizona.edu/~websterd )
( Office: (520) 621-6926 Pager: (520) 291-3822 )
( Home: (520) 326-6771 FAX: (520) 621-3821 )