Re: transcription

Phil Graham (pw.graham who-is-at student.qut.edu.au)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:25:32 +1100

I'm just in the middle of several research projects involving interviews.

I'm not sure of the context, but in the current case, I conducted recorded
interviews and then had someone transcribe them from tape. Two things have
happened:

1. I've had to go back and fix the (inaudibles) in key passages.
2. I've also had to listen to the entire tapes to check them for key words
and phrases. For instance, one clause in the transcript read:
"It's hard to resolve for me"
was actually
"It hardens the resolve when it comes from Reith"

Even without knowing that I was talking to a militant unionist and that
Reith is the Workplace Relations Minister who was involved in a conspiracy
to fire the entire workforce, you can see the difference that
de-contextualised transcribers can make.

I don't think it's necessary for the researcher to do the entire
transcription, in fact I'd say that that was wasteful in the "productivity
paradox" sense of wastefulness. I would argue, however, that people who are
trained to transcribe do not necessarily have the contextual resources to
do the job thoroughly, and that it is the researcher's duty to thoroughly
check the transcripts.

Also, I know someone who had had their PhD coded incorrectly and didn't
find out until a week before it was due. The variable that was coded
incorrectly was the basis of the argument (media effects study - variable:
children watch or don't watch - the codes were reversed for these). The
researcher built 'an entirely convincing argument' on fallaciously
interpreted results. Needless to say, it was a busy week for that person.

Someone else handed in a masters that she had had typed without proofing
it. She found out years later, after passing with flying colours, that
there was an _entire chapter_ of someone else's work in there which was
entirely unrelated to the thesis.

By all means, get assistance for transcription, typing, and encoding and
data entry work, but my advice is check it, check it, check it again.

That's for what it's worth,
Phil

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/8314/index.html