Re: Groping toward the future

Bill Barowy (wbarowy who-is-at lesley.edu)
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 00:04:55 -0500

At 9:03 PM -0500 1/5/99, Jay Lemke wrote:
>We can even project elements for the future that are like no one's
>memories, in part by interpolating and extrapolating from comparisons
>within the collective memory. If we do not imagine for ourselves what has
>already been real for another, we imagine from some space of possibles that
>we create over such "reals".

And through diversity we are offered greater possibilities, through a
greater collective of alternative memories. New and different pasts offer
new and different futures. Diversity, providing ensembles of experiences
with others and their pasts, becomes a process of proleptic admixture, the
vicarious and personal.

Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Technology in Education
Lesley College, 31 Everett Street, Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
Phone: 617-349-8168 / Fax: 617-349-8169
http://www.lesley.edu/faculty/wbarowy/Barowy.html
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself
and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]