Re: New Year's Re-solutions/New Year's Wish

dkirsh who-is-at lsu.edu
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 13:22:41 -0600

Angel,
Happy new year.
I remember first 'hearing' your XMCA (then XLCHC) voice when you were
a grad student at OISE--at first tentative, but then so quickly self
assured and authoritative; and I remember celebrating your successful
doctoral completion, and move to Hong Kong. So I'm sorry that the cut
throat
academic competition of Hong Kong make your voice more rarely heard here.

The sense of despair of your new year's wish brings to mind for me an old
dilemma concerning the political nature of what we do. Your new year's
wish positions the academy as a player, albeit not a particularly powerful
one, in the politics of education.

>If life has to be swollowed like
>this, why bother about scholarship and intellectual matters? Why bother
>about publishing research articles or books? Yet, of course, I believe we
>still have to persist in doing whatever little things we think we could do
>to help make things a little bit different, a bit more human (or perpas it
>is precisely human to reproduce social injustice and inequalities?).

I know that many scholars of today, especially of XMCA, also interpret
their work in political terms. Yet I see the influence of the academy in
starkly different terms. Through our conversations we develop new ways of
experiencing the familiar. And as our discourses merge with broader social
discourses possibilities emerge for others to experience the familiar
differently. While, perhaps, such new forms of experience also permit new
forms of action, I see the usage of our discourses as beyond my role and
function as an academic. My political activism (such as it is) is sharply
segregated from my academic work.

I wonder if others struggle with such issues.

David Kirshner
Louisiana State University
dkirsh who-is-at lsu.edu

ENANGEL who-is-at cityu.edu.hk on 01/02/99 01:16:05 AM