RE: Robotized competitive grading

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
26 Dec 1998 00:36:04 -0000

Hi Eugene and everone else who skips Christmas day as a
holiday. Eugene, contrary to claiming individuals make no
difference, Jay's message invited us to look across levels
of the system, suggesting to me that we might plan and
optimize _whatever difference_ (i.e., we can't predict
our influence on larger scale organization, but we COULD
perhaps collectively bias a shift in one direction or
another by affecting our immediate environment) we can make.

In Jay's words:
>t's a classic political problem: how to mobilize resources
>>> from the lowest level to reorganize the intermediate level in
>>> ways that are
>>> permitted by the constraints from the higher level, resulting over time in
>>> change in all three levels.

That still doesn't address the issue of 'excellence' here
vis a vis the diversity of our students and the functions of
grading. At which level do you focus to define "excellence" ?

I'm interested in how Jay, Eugene and others negotiate
institutional constraints and define 'excellence' in their
grading. Who or what gets an A? Are there criteria that
apply across courses? How much of the grade is based on
students' completed texts, apart from their processes of
learning, their visible labor, their interpretation
of the tasks assigned them (how difficult, how original),
the distance between where they started and where they end up...

Judy

At 07:00 PM 12/24/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi Jay and everybody--
>
>I agree with your suggestion of getting Grand Sorting out of education. I
>also agree that this solution is finally institutional. However, I disagree
>that "the isolated actions of individuals" do not play role in making
>institutional change. Making historical analogy, I'd argue that slaveowners
>who had left their slaves free contributed to abolishment of slavery. Their
>act became a strong contribution in the public debates on slavery.
>
>Applying the situation to us, instructors, I think it would be strange to
>put our efforts in "humanizing" Grand Sorting and inventing "better" and
>"less harmful" ways of grading.
>
>As to students,
>>she is now concerned solely about
>> her record and the consequences for her future, and has explained her
>> analysis in detail ... (there are perhaps some personality
>> factors involved
>> as well, as she somewhat grudgingly admits)
>
>Very few people can ignore pain... Grades are punishments for msitake
>making and violating instructor's expectations. They are often detrimanetal
>to quality of education.
>
>What do you think?
>
>Eugene

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183

Eternity is in love with the productions of time - Wm Blake