Re: school to work

George K. Cunningham (gkcunn01 who-is-at ulkyvm.louisville.edu)
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 12:48:34 -0500

At 07:28 AM 11/28/98 -0600, Nate Schmolze wrote:

>School to Work is probaly more based on Germany's model, when
>Clinton was elected we was very impressed with Germany's
>apprenticeship model. I think Phil's warning/comment is word
>heeding, but do not think the solution can be found in
>continueing an idealist form of education where the assumption
>is everyone will or will want to go to college. I have problems
>with school to work because it is a model that puts the needs of
>the corporation or even social production ahead of the needs of
>children. While there are programs as Bill mentioned that are
>pedogogically driven, I see ecomonic/political aspects of school
>to work that need to be realized. For example, in Wisconsin's
>W2 program the focus was not on transitioning workers into
>family supporting jobs, but rather filling the employee gap of
>low wage jobs. The problem, which I don't see as a problem, was
>the wage of those in the service industry was increasing because
>a lack of a labor pool. The focus of W2 was filling this void
>so the wage of service jobs could continue to be low wage jobs.

One way that US versions of STW differ from those of Germany is that in
this country we assume that all students can reach the criterion level on
the tests. In Germany tests are used to identify those who are capable of
going on to college and those who are not. Those who do not get on the
college track go to vocational schools and spend much of their time working
as apprentices in factories at half pay. Unfortunately, when they graduate
those jobs are not available because they go to lower paid immigrant laborers.

Although the goal is to have all students pass the tests in the US, this is
not happening. In Washinton state only twenty percent pass and only five
percent of minorities. The projections for Virginia and Florida are are
equally grim. These state assessment programs are being set up in every
state except one. In many states it is the school that is held responsible
rather than invididual students although the trend is towards requiring all
students to get the equivalent of a Certificate of Initial Mastery by tenth
grade.

Minority student performance on these tests is well below that of
non-minorities. These programs may have a much bigger impact on the
number of minorities who go to college than changes in affirmative action
laws.