Re: Re(2): drive-thru education (not)

Phil Graham (pw.graham who-is-at student.qut.edu.au)
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 09:51:23 +1100

At 08:35 26-11-98 -0700, Katherine Goff wrote:

>i think the choir benefits from the whole range of voices;
>diversity has to include those we don't want to hear, but maybe they can
>be harmonized with to create a new sound.

To my ear, a "choir" in which each member is singing altogether different
songs sounds distinctly discordant. Even the most fragmented voices may, if
the conductor is dominant enough, be brought into line. The corporate choir
in the education chorus is loud. Soon it will be the conductor and will own
all the instruments. Fragmented self-interests will be easily brought into
line once everyone begins to sing the corporation's jingle for commodified
education:

"efficiency, productivity, and profit for meeeee.
No one will get education for freeeeeee".

Phil
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/8314/index.html