Re: drive-thru education (not)

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 08:07:06 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Graham <pw.graham who-is-at student.qut.edu.au>
To: xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thursday, November 26, 1998 7:15 AM
Subject: Re: drive-thru education (not)

Corporations are taking over everything because Goverments are
abandoning everything. More and more schools are signing
contracts with Coke and Pepsi because school boards, tax payers,
etc are no longer willing to fund Public Education. In
reference to Phil it seems the trend is just the opposite of the
dialectical position you mentioned which maybe makes that
position even more important.

In the U.S they say our legacy is based on Locke's social
contract that Diane mentioned earlier. We have a constitution
that applies to goverment, but not to corporate america. One
does not have constitutional rights in reference to a
corporation. We have a man named Bill Gates who is wealthier
than many if not most countries.

This at some level reminds me of Phil's earlier attacks at
diversity or progressives. Regress is being seen as progress as
in the cuts in education, cuts in aid to the poor etc. Business
and corporations are being sold as the ones who can solve all
our social ills. I think its easy to see corporations as taking
over while not acknowledging the fact that goverments, society,
schools see them as an easy solution to our social problems. I
just get the feeling we have been here before. Who says
history is dead?

Nate

Phil,

Phil wrote:

>Sorry. I cannot countenance accepting such a trend. In fact, I
would go so
>far as to suggest that it cannot continue. The trend for
academics,