Re: reference

Angel Lin (ENANGEL who-is-at cityu.edu.hk)
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:09:08 +0800

Judy and others,

I've been looking for suggestions on "reproduction" and "transformation".
I'm not complaining though :) as I'm quite familiar with the dynamics of
xmca discussions. I've too long relied on the xmca community as an
intellectual support group for generating and experimenting with ideas to
lose faith in it.

* * *
A bit of a sharing of my feelings in response to your discussions:

There can be a danger of simplifying what it means to understand multiple
or others' perspectives. The possibility of dialogue between peoples of
difference (e.g., based on gender, sexual orientation, culture, class,
ethnicity, history...) (and of course we know all these are constructions,
not with solid boundaries, but nonetheless we live with the consequences of
these constructions every day, like it or not). The common tricky scenario
in a democratic society is one in which different peoples don't even speak
the same language or, worse still, think they speak the same language,
which is in fact loaded with vastly different taken-for-granted assumptions
and meanings for different people. Dialogue in a democratic society then
means much more than just a self de-centering practice but perhaps also,
more fundamentally, a critically reflexive mindset to uncover one's own as
well as others' deepest, implicit, taken-for-granted ontological and
epistemological assumptions which underlie ways of seeing and speaking that
can be highly incompatible, or mutually unintelligible if not absurd.

For instance, in an article I read, a "controversial issue" given by a
literal arts teacher (with the good intention to train students to see
others' perspectives) for students to address is:

"Does the United States have to be the policeman for other countries?".

Well, this question is loaded with a whole host of US-centric
presuppositions taken for granted, forcefully though implicitly asserted.
The danger is that students who think they are taking up very different
perspectives of others are merely arguing within the same choir, sharing
basically similar fundamental assumptions about the world and their
position in the world.

Habermas's notion of cummunictive rationality can be another approach to
formulating the basis and procedures for the possibility of rational
communication between peoples of difference. I'd like to hear your
reactions to this, well, one of these days.

Cheers,
Angel L.