Re: Re(2): Hair shirts, self-flagellation, and equality

Phil Graham (pw.graham who-is-at student.qut.edu.au)
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 00:22:23 +1100

Bruce Robinson wrote:

>I think such periods of 'egotism' tend to occur when there does not appear
>to be any 'common sense' way of radical change through social or political
>action and the aspiration to change things turns inwards. This occurs to me
>because I've just thought about the parallel between today and the Germany
>of the 1840's where all sorts of idealist philosophical trends came about
>under the influence of Hegel and the stifling reactionary regime in Prussia.
>I'm sure we would already find an answer to this inward-lookingness in
>Marx's critique of the Young Hegelians and people like Stirner. (...but I'm
>afraid I haven't time to look just now.)

"If we have chosen the position in life in which we can most of all work
for [humanity], no burdens can bow us down, because they are sacrifices for
the benefit of all; then we shall experience no petty, limited, selfish
joy, but our happiness will belong to millions, our deeds will live on
quietly but perpetually at work, and over our ashes will be shed the hot
tears of noble people".

Marx, a uni essay from 1835

http://www.marx.org/Archive/1837-preRZ/1835-ref.htm
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/8314/index.html