Re: Refs. on support for disadvantaged school children

Peter Smagorinsky (smago who-is-at peachnet.campus.mci.net)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 06:25:36 -0500

At the risk of sounding facile, the U.S. public school system is such an
attempt. And sometimes it even succeeds.

A number of people claim to have methods for making the school system more
likely to work along the lines requested by Angel and Steve. E.D. Hirsch,
for instance, offers a curriculum based on knowledge of Western culture (or
at least his version of it) as the great equilizer. Linda Darling-Hammond
and colleagues offer what they call "authentic assessment." Hirsch's model
is deficit-oriented, claiming that what's needed is to fill gaps in
students' knowledge so that they will have building blocks for new
knowledge; Darling-Hammond's is predicated on the belief that all students
already have knowledge that schools can productively help them build on.

There's much in between, but these two extremes illustrate how difficult
the question is to answer.

Peter