Re: Giddens

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
27 Sep 1998 02:57:49 -0000

You might also look at "Social theory of modern societies:
Anthony Giddens and his critics" Edited by David Held and
John B. Thompson, Cambridge Univ Press, 1989.
Critics include historians & Marxists as well as
sociologists, & Giddens responds to them.

Judy

At 03:21 PM 9/26/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 5:47 PM -0600 9/25/98, Kevin Leander wrote:
>>I was wondering if anyone knows of any extended treatments of the relations
>>between Anthony Giddens' work and sociocultural theory.
>>

>Kevin,
>
>I don't know if these specifically address your conception of
>"sociocultural theory," but two excellent collections on Giddens' work are:
>
>Clark, J., Modgil, C., & Modgil, S. (Eds.). (1990). _Anthony Giddens:
>Consensus and controversy_. London: Falmer.
>
>Held, D., & Thompson, J. B. (Eds.). (1989). _Social theory of modern
>societies: Anthony Giddens and his critics_. Cambridge: Cambridge
>University Press.
>
>Hope these help out.
>
>-- Lee
>
>Lee Honeycutt (honeyl who-is-at iastate.edu)
>Assistant Professor
>English Dept., 247 Ross Hall
>Iowa State University
>Ames, Iowa 50011-1201
>(515) 294-4617
>http://www.public.iastate.edu/~honeyl/

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183