Re: Diversity and domination ...

Phil Graham (pw.graham who-is-at student.qut.edu.au)
Sat, 19 Sep 1998 16:25:17 +1000

Just another example of "harmony in diversity" from the quagmire of
neo-liberal rhetoric ... "us", "them" and how to define the difference.

Ain't it just peachy?

Phil
off-topic

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 10:17 -0400
From: The White House <Publications-Admin who-is-at pub.pub.whitehouse.gov>
Subject: 1998-09-17 VP Remarks to Association of Black-Owned Broadcasters
To: Public-Distribution who-is-at pub.pub.whitehouse.gov
http://www.pub.whitehouse.gov/uri-res/I2R?urn:pdi://oma.eop.gov.us/1998/9/18
/5.text.1
Labor, Monetary-Policy, Organization, Social, Speech, Topical-Remarks,
Vice-President

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Vice President
For Immediate Release September 17, 1998

REMARKS BY VICE PRESIDENT AL GORE
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLACK-OWNED BROADCASTERS

(As Prepared for Delivery)

Thursday, September 17, 1998

It is always a deep personal honor for me to come before the
National Association of Black-Owned Broadcasters -- for the third time
in five years.

The news is better covered, and the country is better served, if
our reporters, editors, newspapers, and radio and TV stations reflect
the full diversity of the country they serve. Thank you, NABOB, for
nearly a quarter-century of leadership.

Over the past 22 years, you have helped open the doors of
opportunity to a whole new generation of owners and journalists. Until
1949, there wasn't even one black-owned radio station in the United
States. Today, NABOB represents 157 black-owned stations and 18
commercial television stations. In an industry that has gone from album
to 8-track to cassette to CD to digital tape to DVD to improve clarity
the past two decades, the clearest voice of all has been provided by the
men and women of NABOB. And we are a better nation for it.

Now, in this time of progress and prosperity, our challenge is
opening those doors of opportunity even wider -- in your profession, and
in all professions -- so that every child can share in the American
Dream.

Look at how far we've already come: 16.7 million new jobs. The
lowest unemployment in a generation. The lowest African-American and
Hispanic unemployment on record. The lowest African-American poverty
rate on record. The fastest real wage growth in 25 years. More small
businesses created the past 5 1/2 years than in the previous 12 years
combined -- all with the lowest inflation in 32 years.

And we should remember that all of this progress is due to the
policies of one person -- President Bill Clinton. His policies and
programs have been good for the United States of America.
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/8314/index.html