Re: Diversity?

Phil Graham (pw.graham who-is-at student.qut.edu.au)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 08:08:03 +1000

Here's a lovely example of inscribing difference and repression. Paint it
with a friendly face and write it into history.

=================================

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:56 -0400
From: The White House <Publications-Admin who-is-at Pub.Pub.WhiteHouse.Gov>
Subject: 1998-09-15 Proclamation on Black Colleges and Universities Week
To: Public-Distribution who-is-at Pub.Pub.WhiteHouse.Gov
http://www.pub.whitehouse.gov/uri-res/I2R?urn:pdi://oma.eop.gov.us/1998/9/16
/7.text.1

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release September 15, 1998

NATIONAL HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGES
AND UNIVERSITIES WEEK, 1998

- - - - - - -

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

A PROCLAMATION

Education has always been at the heart of opportunity in America.
That has never been more true than today, when a revolution in
technology is fundamentally changing the way we live and work and learn.
In this new era of dynamic challenge and possibility, we recognize that
the best opportunities for personal and professional success will go to
those who are well educated. Our Nation's Historically Black Colleges
and Universities (HBCUs) play a vital role in helping to extend access
to a quality education.

Established before and just after the Civil War to educate free
black students, these institutions have been African Americans' primary
route -- and for many the only route -- to higher education. Struggling
to exist in a segregated society, striving to keep tuition affordable
despite limited financial resources, these schools nonetheless upheld
their mission of academic excellence and equal opportunity.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/8314/index.html