Mined as Action

Bill Barowy (wbarowy who-is-at lesley.edu)
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 09:19:05 -0400

At 6:49 AM -0500 9/9/98, nate wrote:

>changed from Mind in Action to Mind as Action. Is my copy of Wertsch's book
>the only one doing this or is this also happening with other copies

Gee Nate, the same thing happened to me. So i did some mining of subject
lines in the xmca postings to trace back this... appropriation? The
results of the search just reminded me of how many of us shape our postings
by customizing the subject line, as Eva has so often pointed out. So
perhaps 'Mind in Action' is not so much an error as it is a statement of us
taking on the task, together, of reading and responding to such an
excellent work as 'Mind as Action'. I'm looking forward to chapter two,
which promises much for discussion (and as an ex-high-school pole vaulter
some reminiscing about the act of 'mastering the bend').

I'd like to offer an apology to Jim for getting it wrong and the promise
that we will get it right from now on!

Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Technology in Education
Lesley College, 29 Everett Street, Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
Phone: 617-349-8168 / Fax: 617-349-8169
http://www.lesley.edu/faculty/wbarowy/Barowy.html
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself
and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]