Re: Mind "in" Mind "as"

Phil Graham (pw.graham who-is-at student.qut.edu.au)
Wed, 09 Sep 1998 12:53:42 +1000 (EST)

At 07:28 PM 9/8/98 -0400, you wrote:
>At the risk of disturbing everyone's thread organization I've changed the
>subject line to reflect Wertsch's title: 'Mind "as" Action' from the
>current 'Mind "in" Action'--a difference that is signified in italics on
>the title page. An interesting slip--and one that Mike Cole also made back
>in January. Given the individual/social theme in the chapter it makes a
>nice little contemplative object. _Who_ made the mistake? What in our
>common context predisposes us to this error?

Richard Dawkins wrote some interesting stuff about this. I'll get the ref
if anyone wants it. He argues from his Darwinian perspective that this is
an example of how language and ideas mutate between people and poses the
question: Why are people predisposed to these errors. It's part of his work
on "memes".

Not my area, but interesting nevertheless.

Phil

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/8314/index.html