Re: linguistically informed curricula and pedagogies

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
1 Sep 1998 16:08:34 -0000

Yes, yes - I know about LINC. I have a copy of the
curriculum which I am drawing on this semester.
I also have a copy of Language in Use, which
precedes it, is completely out of print & only
available from those who have it, and is utterly
brilliant. Thanks so much for reference, David.
Any others?
-- Judy

t 07:58 AM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Judy,
>
>A group of teachers and linguists was commissioned by the British
government to produce a lingustically-oriented language arts curriculum in
the early 1990s, to support the then-new national curriculum. The result
was a brilliant book called LINC: Language in the National Curriculum.

>Unfortunately, the government, which owned the copyright, chose not to
publish the materials, as they were percieved to be too political.

>I don't know if they have since been published. Ron Carter (Birmingham?)
headed the project, I think. Might check with:

>Mary Scott
>m.scott who-is-at ioe.ac.uk
>Department of English, Media, and Drama
>Institute of Education
>University of London
>20 Bedford Way
>London, WC1H 0AL
>England
>
>Or
>
>Tony Burgess
>Department of English, Media, and Drama
>Institute of Education
>University of London
>20 Bedford Way
>London, WC1H 0AL
>England
>
>Sorry, don't have his e-mail.
>

>David R. Russell
>Associate Professor
>English Department
>Iowa State University
>Ames, IA 50011 USA
>(515) 294-4724
>Fax (515) 294-6814
>drrussel who-is-at iastate.edu

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183