Re: The pendulum's Foucault

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 20:37:35 +0200

At 09.22 -0400 98-08-30, Rachel Heckert wrote:
>Many thanks for the clarification. I, too, did not know of the "other"
>Foucault, and was more than a little puzzled as to why Umberto Eco should
>be naming a novel about the contemporary person of that name.

Ah -- you see, to me the pendulum's Foucault came first.

There is a Foucault pendulum in the Technical museum of Stockholm which I
saw demonstrated when I was in middle school, back in the sixties. They
started it with us watching, then gave us the tour of the museum for an
hour and then brought us back to see that the earth had moved under this
awesome swinger.

Eva
who is still awestruck with the vastness of it-all