Re: thoughts on artifacts and appropriations

Jay Lemke (jllbc who-is-at cunyvm.cuny.edu)
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 22:59:59 -0400

At 10:38 AM 7/29/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Is it just my naivete or can many of the connections between
>"ownership" and "control" be used to understand the dynamics of
>"mediation"?

I grew this cabbage, therefore it is mine.

The earth, air, and sun grew the cabbage, you just hung around and added
marginal value.

The earth that grew the cabbage is on my land, therefore the cabbage is mine.

I let you live while you were growing the cabbage, therefore it's at least
as much mine as yours.

If I hadn't fixed nitrogen into the soil, no cabbage would have been able
to grow.

If I hadn't made you that hoe, you wouldn't have been able to grow that
cabbage.

I gave birth to you, you owe the cabbage to me.

I have a gun, give me the cabbage.

I have gold, sell me the cabbage.

I have a lot of cabbages, I'll sell you one cheaper.

I have a lot of sons, I sell you one cheap.

I gave birth to this son, therefore he's mine.

The embryo developed on its own, you just carried it around.

If I hadn't impregnated you, you'd have no son; he's mine.

If we hadn't protected you, you wouldn't have given birth; your son's been
drafted.

You don't need a son, buy this robot kit.

The robot grew the cabbage; who does it belong to?

JAY L. LEMKE
PROFESSOR OF EDUCATION
CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK
JLLBC who-is-at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU