Re: Memorial Day

Bill Barowy (wbarowy who-is-at lesley.edu)
Fri, 29 May 1998 14:18:12 -0400

At 2:36 PM +0400 5/29/98, Olga Marchenko wrote:
>Scrolling the messages about Memorial day I could not find to what war it is
>devoted.

Olga, May 30 is formerly observed as a legal holiday in most states of the
U.S. in remembrance of all war dead. Your sentiment "we all realized that
any war means only death, no matter to whom" is something to echo. Your
words do not read as pathetic, but as looking forwards by looking backwards
- to appreciate those that have sacrificed and to remember that there is
important work to do to ensure these kinds of things do not happen again.

To all, appreciating this view is helped with the knowledge that in his
book 'On War' Klauswitz realizes that war is a political tool. It is to
be used when diplomatic and other means fail. There are many who reminds
us that education, too, is a political tool. Needless to say both are also
cultural tools. But as a means available to avert war, education has
special importance. Culturally and politically it is our charge to educate
ourselves about each other, if we are to make a difference. This is
especially evident with current world events.

In his book 'The Evolution of Nuclear Strategy' Lawrence Freedman writes
about escalation. "For this bargaining between two extremely antagonistic
parties, there was a need for some common language that permits them to
hold discourse. This language was unlikely to emerge through formal
negotiations or declarations; it had to be evident in the shared culture of
international politics, tacit as much as explicit, with mutual
understandings created and reinforced through deeds as much as words."

I interpreted John's comment as intended to all xmca subscribers, not to
any one individual. This is backed by John's email to the list on Tue, 26
May 1998, expressing his dismay. The comment asked one to remember those
who sacrificed their lives during the various U.S. wars. As Mike notes, it
is the unfortunate circumstance that a message with one national
orientation can be interpreted as hostile from other national orientations.
This is an opportunity for us to learn from each other, about each other,
and place ourselves in a more global perspective, hopefully averting some
future misinterpretations.

Let us hope that on this list we find the 'fourth Ueno' and the 'fourth
Konopak' in all of us. It is worth repeating Mike: "It seems essential to
me to work from a presupposition of the basic worthiness of those involved
in the discussion as human beings."

Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Technology in Education
Lesley College, 29 Everett Street, Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
Phone: 617-349-8168 / Fax: 617-349-8169
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself
and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]