Re: non-fixed objects (Re: Unidentified subject)

Peter Smagorinsky (psmagorinsky who-is-at OU.EDU)
Thu, 21 May 1998 06:18:56

Judy asked for clarification between motive and motivation. Here's an
excerpt from Jim Wertsch's Vygotsky and the Social Formation of Mind that
I've used in a number of recent papers that describes motive in AT.
Activity, he says, refers to:

a social institutionally defined setting [in which] the implicit
assumptions . . . determine the selection of actions and their operationa=
composition. The guiding and integrating force of these assumptions is
what Leont=92ev called the motive of an activity. For Leont=92ev a motiv=
e is
not a construct that can be understood in biological or even psychologica=
terms. Rather, it is an aspect of a sociohistorically specific,
institutionally defined setting. Among other things, the motive that is
involved in a particular activity setting specifies what is to be maximiz=
ed
in that setting. By maximizing one goal, one set of behaviors, and the
like over others, the motive also determines what will be given up if nee=
be in order to accomplish something else. (p. 212)

A motive, then refers to the general aims that are shared within a
setting--they are cultural goals. Within a social setting this motive may
be subverted by people whose goals are not congruent with the goals of th=
majority.

I'm not an expert on motivation. My reading of ed psych studies on the
topic would lead me to believe that it's an entirely personal trait--this
says more to me about ed psych premises than about motivation. I think th=
at
many goals and means of achieving them are internalized from what Leont'e=
called the motive of the setting, or from a need to subvert that motive.
But I'm not very far in my thinking on this question.