Re: Of forks and computers

Naoki Ueno (nueno who-is-at nier.go.jp)
Wed, 20 May 1998 11:03:32 +0900

At 10:01 AM 5/19/98 -0400, Bill Barowy wrote:
>I think so. There is the need to capture the difference between people and
>not-people, or perhaps in an broader sense, *cognizers/actors/volitizers*,
>and not *...*. Not to apologize for, nor to defend dichotomies, here the
>dichotomy is just a viable construct, with viability that is a function of
>the moment. Lasagna may take part in a system with me, but it lacks
>cognition, volition, intent, and memory in doing so. Lasagna does not
>think, does not make choices, does not remember, does not need.

Bill,

How about ELIZA, DOCTOR program? Are "they" cognizers/actors/volitizers*?

In a specificly organized context, people treat ELIZA as if it has
intelligence,
intention or motivation. This treating ELIZA as *cognizers/actors/volitizers*
will organize a specific interaction between that person and ELIZA.

In other words, in a specific context, we organize an interaction
as if the partner is *cognizers/actors/volitizers*.
However, I am not sure that "human kind" really has intelligence, intention or
motivation inside of them.

The term "volition" is a very convenient tool in order to account people's
( or machine's) actions and to give a consistent account of people' s actions.
Further, this account will be part of resources for organizing a specific
interaction.

However, It will be difficult to answer the questions as following.
"Where is volition in brain?", "What is volition"?"
I think there is no answer to these questions.

If so, the terms such as *cognizers/actors/volitizers* are not the name
of some entities, but one of resources for organizing a specific
interaction. And this specificly organized interaction elaborates
the meaning of *cognizers/actors/volitizers* as interactive resources.

AI research had attempted to design the machine actor or "interactive
machine" who has plan, intelligence, intention or motivation inside of it.
And we know it was illusion. How was it illusion?

Naoki Ueno
NIER, Tokyo