Of forks and computers

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Thu, 14 May 1998 09:08:14 +0200 (METDST)

At 15.08 -0400 98-05-13, Luiz Ernesto Merkle wrote:
>Your example of the fork is wonderful. A fork, to be understood in its
>use, need to be contextualized either in "the art of cooking" or in
>"pleasures of eating". It is not easy to be a chef or a gourmet, a good
>one. The development of cutlery and cooking appliances have change the way
>people cook and eat in the same way that their habits of eating and
>cooking have affect the development of these tools.

Nevertheless...

there seems to me there is, at least potentially, a qualitative difference
between the computer-as-a-tool and the fork-as-a-tool. A difference in
where boundaries between the inter actants are. I may not interact with the
fork, but I interact with the lasagna, using the fork. In the case of the
computer, this lasagna//fork-me boundary will(??) be somewhere IN the
computer.

On the other hand...

I'm forwarding from the past, a cautionary note by Arne Raeithel on the
subject of transparency.

see you!

The question's Eva
eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se