RE: coining phrases

Phillip Allen White (pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu)
Sun, 10 May 1998 20:10:59 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 10 May 1998, Eugene Matusov wrote:

> Bakhtin and G. Mead suggested that meaning is a reply to a reply. It is a
> puppy trying to bite its own tail (your "looping curl"). I have recently
> "discovered" recursivity as production of intentionality.

yes yes yes - i'm responding from enthusiastic recognition,
Eugene - having studied the discourse of a teacher working with fifth
graders - and her discourse was recursive / proleptic. Highly
intentional, cueing students into what was coming next, so that they would
know why the present activity was important, as well as reminding students
about from where the present activity had come from, its origins, why it
was now 'here'.

phillip