RE: RE: Text and authority in 18th-century China

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Sat, 9 May 1998 14:31:56 -0400

Hi Kathy and everybody--

Kathy wrote:
> You can find the 'learning as a notice of difference' explanation in Mind
> and Nature: A Necessary Unity. It's perhaps more accessible that Steps
> Toward an Ecology of Mind.

I really like Batten's version of double differences of definition of
learning rather than as just pattern (or difference) recognition. In my
interpretation, when Batten talks about "the difference (1) that makes a
difference (2)," he talks about how the focus of an activity (i.e.,
difference number 1) makes possible to actualize the difference#2 that is
"out there" as potential among other indifferent (but not arbitrary!)
potentials (i.e., "indifferent structural potential of the world out there).

For example, when the label "Jew" becomes an offensive in a community (i.e.,
difference number#1) the interest in facial analysis of typical Jewish
characteristic (i.e., "typical Jewish faces") (i.e., difference number #2)
comes out. My son still surprise how we can recognize Jewish face. If he
were raised in Russia, he would not, probably, be surprised but would
consider recognition of Jewish faces as a "natural" characteristic of any
face (the world out there) like he is not surprised that people have
different color of their skin being raised in US.

Of course, the emergence of the differences does not to be sequential in
time but synchronous. Actually, they seem to be two aspects of one process
rather than two separate processes. In Batten's definition of learning, the
dualism between subjective and objective disappears.

The famous Kohler's experiments with apes using a stick to get a banana
outside their cage is another illustration of "the difference that makes a
difference." The activity focus on reaching banana outside the cage (i.e.,
difference#1) makes the stick located in the cage relevant to banana (i.e.,
difference#2).

Thanks, Kathy, for the reference. Luis, sorry I don't know other Batten's
references where he talks about "the difference that makes a difference"
that defines information/learning than in "Steps." I'd like also to know
more about that.

Eugene