social games & artifacts (was Re: All the way with Piaget)

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Tue, 5 May 1998 12:55:00 -0700

At 8:32 AM 5/5/98, Mike Cole wrote:
>Naoki-- And of course, the idea that coins have two sides is also
>a culturally mediated social construction, right? I was certain that
>a coin has at LEAST three sides, but I am not sure how to include
>properly that round third one.
>mike

I can't resist responding- it is because the coin only has two sides, that
"two-out-of-three" tosses
is the preferred practice for enculturing the coin, as an artifact, into a
particular
a social game (the duality of heads/tails produces a third interaction:
2-out-of-3 tosses).

The third side of the coin is the outer ridge. Stand a quarter on its edge.
diane

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right." Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction,
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada

snailmail: 3519 Hull Street