Re: from xact

Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad who-is-at ped.gu.se)
Fri, 1 May 1998 19:53:17 +0200

At 08.07 -0700 98-05-01, Mike Cole wrote:
>Eva? I lost track. Have people on xmca been told about the xact discussion
>and will there be one? Richard Beach's message on xact seems relevant to
>the broader audience of xmca so I am passing it along.
>
>Maybe we need to use xorgan in order to avoid boring members uninterested
>in organizational issues.
>mike

1) Dear Mike

Now you let the cat out of the bag! No, people on the xmca have not been
told about a re-start of xact. I took no such action, because I think that
the xact still has not been set up. The xorgan does not seem to be
functioning either, in spite of supposedly being set up back in October. I
actually did a minor check this morning -- just sending a "help" command to
the "request" address for each of the three lists. The xmca-request
responds with a reasonable message, the other two just went into the black
hole. As did my attempt to subscribe to the xact from my weber account
before I left San Diego. NOTHING.

Perhaps the lists HAVE been set up, but the procmail server is so
patched-together, full of daemons and treacle, that new lists just go into
limbo...

2) Dear everybody

Sorry for the tech-talk.

What it is about is our wish to re-start an xact list -- that is, a sister
to this list, but more focussed on discussions of Activity Theory and its
central concepts. Wouldn't that be great?

After the grad seminar held by Yrjo Engestrom at UCSD the first quarter of
98, which was run in tandem with a Finnish class led by Reijo Miettinen,
and had email exchange with that class through a collective alias (also
called xact, and still evidently functional)... phew what a long
sentence... well, after the AT class was over we still could not let go and
had a couple of post-sessions, where the idea of continuing in electronic
form (as a bunch of us were giong back to our homes soon).

So this is to inform you all, and invite you to the new xact-list

AS SOON AS IT IS FUNCTIONAL

Eva