from xact

Mike Cole (mcole who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu)
Fri, 1 May 1998 08:07:44 -0700 (PDT)

Eva? I lost track. Have people on xmca been told about the xact discussion
and will there be one? Richard Beach's message on xact seems relevant to
the broader audience of xmca so I am passing it along.

Maybe we need to use xorgan in order to avoid boring members uninterested
in organizational issues.
mike
------
>From xact-request who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu Thu Apr 30 16:08:08 1998
>From: "Richard Beach" <rbeach who-is-at maroon.tc.umn.edu>
To: xact who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu
Subject: Genre and Activity Theory
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 98 17:44:17 -0500

Hello from the tundra. I'm currently sitting in on a genre theory seminar
taught by Carol Berkenkotter. We're talking about the relationship between
current genre theory and activity theory. This week we discussed the essay in
Written Communication by David Russell applying a CHAT analysis to a writing.
I'm forwarding one particularly interesting posting by Tom Erickson regarding
computers as tools.

Responding to the message of <v03110701b16e4394a040 who-is-at [198.182.248.138]>
from Tom Erickson <snowfall who-is-at acm.org>:

> Genre Theory
> Statement to the Class (4)
> April 30, 1998
> Tom Erickson
>
> Appropriable Technology
>
> In the last decade or so, one of the principle goals in the design of
> personal computers and the programs which run upon them has been designing
> them to be 'intuitive.' Of course, 'intuitive' is really just a
> marketing-induced illusion, but it does serve as a code for "easy enough to
> learn so that little or no recourse to an instruction manual is required,"
> which is still a pretty attractive thing.
>
> More recently, attention has shifted from designing systems for individuals
> (i.e. the 'personal' in PC) to designing systems for groups of people. For
> example, the advent of the social phenomenon of "the web," the commercial
> success of 'groupware' such as Lotus Notes, and the near ubiquity of tropes
> such as "process re-engineering" and "knowledge management" has lead many
> managers and engineers to begin to think in terms that would be familiar
> (in a horrifyingly naive sort of way) to activity theorists. Indeed, as
> enacted in the corporate setting, those thinking about designing systems
> for groups have made a sort of inverted Latourian move: they are treating
> non-human agents symmetrically with human agents by the simple expedient of
> ignoring the human and social characteristics of human agents. This is
> exemplified by the memo from an IBM Vice President which crossed my
> computer screen this Tuesday. It read, in part:
>
> As we tell our customers, it is up to each of use to
> change the way we work by using the right tools, the right way.
>
> - Mike Hill, Vice President of Technology Deployment, IBM, 4/28/98
>
> Rather than designing systems for groups, the tactic is to design groups
> for systems.
>
> As you might guess, I think this is deplorable (not to mention hopelessly
> naive). It seems to me that the notion of "easy enough to learn..." that
> was such an attractive aspect of personal computers ought to have a
> counterpart in the more group-oriented world. I like the phrase "
> appropriable technology", but "appropriable genres" is more to the point,
> if lacking the resonance of the first phrase. (I am now using genre in the
> David Russell sense of "a typified use of material tools ... by an activity
> system.")
>
> This brings me to the central question I want to raise: are there
> particular characteristics of a genre that facilitate its appropriation by
> an activity system?
>
> I see at least three candidates for characteristics of an appropriable
> technology:
> 1. Visible Use: The process of use is visible. An example is Russell's
> statement that he appropriated the shopping list genre by seeing his mother
> make similar lists. A negative example are personal computers and their
> [...]

Richard Beach
359 Peik Hall, 159 Pillsbury Dr., S.E.
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN 55455