Re: Of interest to everybody

Gordon Wells (gwells who-is-at oise.utoronto.ca)
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:29:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Eva Ekeblad wrote:

> What on earth does Diversity mean in a US context?? -- I mean, can one take
> anything BUT a cultural approach to the psychology-sociology-pedagogy and
> whatever field of research when it comes to issues of diversity in
> education??
>
> It seems like that when you have to ask your question that way, that
> Diversity has become one of those "technical terms" -- game pieces in US
> politics.

I got a rather similar impression. 'Diversity' seems to have been
reified into a single undifferentiated 'thing'. Might it be more
appropriate to think of multiple processes of diverging and converging in
activities and settings on different scales?

Gordon Wells