RE: Applied Delpit?

Angel Lin (ENANGEL who-is-at cityu.edu.hk)
Wed, 08 Apr 1998 15:15:19 +0800

Hi everybody,

I've been collecting refs. on studies on culturally compatible curriculum
along or close to Lisa Delpit's line. I'm attaching them below for those
who are interested (I'd also be interested in learning other refs. too).

Eugene, I like very much your sharing of the child's math-doing (being
mistaken as an instance of "learning disability") in your student teacher's
school. It reminds me of Wiggenstein's story about how people can count in
different systems, engaged in different forms of life and have different
ways of seeing and doing things. Unfortunately, modern, technological
society, as it has developed to this date, will no doubt previlege the
"mainstream" ways of doing things/of speaking--the "mainstream" form of
life--as the only "correct" one or "natural" one, suitable for maintaining
a capitalist, global market economy.

In the English-speaker dominant society (e.g., in the US) the struggle to
acquire English resources by ethnic minorities and/or immigrants
constitutes the focus of study in most of the reseach literature (e.g.,
culturally compatible and/or responsive curricular development, bilingual
education). This has been the primary source of insights I've been drawing
on. However, in a recent discussion with Ron Scollon, I came to confirm my
hunch that the situation in the Asian Pacific post-colonial societies are
so different that we have to develop our own paradigm of research here
though not excluding the benefits of drawing on the existing literature in
the West. What that will look like remains uncertain and tentative, but
one thing seems very clear: here we have a peculia situation: the
ethnic/linguistic majority speaks a language that is seen as having a
secondary status in relation to English, a language from the outside
imposed on us as a necessary "international language" for maintaining the
economy (ie. for international trade, finance and commerce). The global
domination of English seems to be something that we have to live with and
can only try our best to make the best of it for we seem to have no other
choice.

To me, it seems that the world is getting more and more homogenized in a
peculia way, with the middle and technological professional classes in
different nations/ethnic groups being more and more alike than the middle
and the working classes are within the same national/ethnic group boundary.
The gap between the forms of life engaged in by the different social
classes are getting bigger and bigger while the middle classes tend to
conform more and more to a global technological, market culture/ values/
ways of speaking, living and seeing; and this becomes the "better way".

The traditionally accepted role of the middle-class educational researcher
and school educator in this complex matrix is a problematic one. To search
for our role in face of the consequences our position tends to lead us into
is an urgent task.
Personally, I have a HUGE sense of helplessness--being a small piece in a
large machine on which I can have very little impact in changing its course
of action, and yet one cannot simply give up. There are the
recommendations of the critial pedagogy educators... but that doesn't
prevent me from feeling that it's like applying a bandage to someone who's
critically ill. The working classes are trapped in the symbolic domination
of the new global high class (the high priests of our 21st century
technolgical temples), unfortunately often with their own cooperation and
collaboration, or so it seems... We make research papers out of their
suffering (sorry, it sounds too strong; but we have to face it; can we make
it otherwise? yes, but perhaps not always possible; something I keep trying
to figure out how). Sorry for a not-too-optimistic note... I'm optimistic
within the confines of pessimisim though :)

Angel
-----------------
angel lin, phd, assistant professor, dept of english, city university of
hong kong; e-mail: enangel who-is-at cityu.edu.hk

Arthur, J. (1994). Talking like teachers: Teacher and pupil discourses in
Botswana primary classrooms. Language, Culture and Curriculum, 7(1), 29-40.
Au, K. H. (1980). Participation structures in a reading lesson with
Hawaiian children: Analysis of a culturally appropriate instructional
event. Anthropology and Education Quarterly, 11, 91-115.
Au, K. H. (1981). Social organizational factors in learning to read: The
balance of rights hypothesis. Reading Research Quarterly, 17(1), 115-152.
Au, K. H. (1992). Constructing the theme of a story. Language Arts, 69(2),
106-111.
Au, K. H. (1995). Multicultural perspectives on literacy research. Journal
of Reading Behavior, 27(1), 85-100.
Au, K. H., & Kawakami, A. J. (1991). Culture and ownership: Schooling of
minority students. Childhood Education, 67(5), 280-284.
Au, K. H., & Scheu, J. A. (1989). Guiding students to interpret a novel.
The Reading Teacher, 43(2), 104-110.
Berns, M. (1990). Contexts of competence: Social and cultural
considerations in communicative language teaching. New York: Plenum Press.
Berns, M. (1995). English in Europe: Whose language, which culture?
International Journal of Applied Linguistics, 5(1), 21-32.
Bolton, K., Hutton, C., & Mok, C. (1996, April). Comic books in Hong Kong,
1950's - 1990's Paper presented at the Conference on Consumer Culture in
Hong Kong, April 18-20, 1996, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong. .
Boutilier, J. (1992). Hard choices: Educational dilemmas in the Pacific
islands. Anthropology and Education Quarterly, 23(1), 79-82.
Brenner, M. E. Contextualized testing and language factors in assessing
early math skills. Unpublished manuscript. .
D'Amato, J. (1987). The belly of the beast: On cultural differences,
castelike status, and the politics of school. Anthropology and Education
Quarterly, 18(4), 357-360.
Delpit, L. D. (1988). The silenced dialogue: Power and pedagogy in
educating other people's children. Harvard Educational Review, 58(3), 280-298.
Erbaugh, M. S. (1990). Taking advantage of China's literary tradition in
teaching Chinese students. The Modern Language Journal, 74(1), 15-27.
Falgout, S. (1992). Hierarchy vs. democracy: Two strategies for the
management of knowledge in Pohnpei. Anthropology and Education Quarterly,
23(1), 30-43.
Falgout, S., & Levin, P. (1992). Introduction to Theme Issue: Transforming
knowledge: Western schooling in the Pacific. Anthropology and Education
Quarterly, 23(1), 3-9.
Flinn, J. (1992). Transmitting traditional values in new schools:
Elementary education of Pulap Atoll. Anthropology and Education Quarterly,
23(1), 44-57.
Foster, M. (1995). Talking that talk: The language of control, curriculum,
and critique. Linguistics and Education, 7(2), 129-150.
Gallimore, R., & Goldenberg, C. (1993). Activity settings of early
literacy: Home and school factors in children's emergent literacy. In E. A.
Forman, N. Minick, & C. A. Stone (Ed.), Contexts for learning:
Sociocultural dynamics in children's development (pp. 315-335). New York:
Oxford University Press.
Harste, J. C. (1993). Inquiry-based instruction. Primary Voices K-6,
(Premier Issue), 2-5.
Heath, S. B. (1982). Protean shapes in literacy events: Ever-shifting oral
and literate traditions. In D. Tannen (Ed.), Spoken and written language:
Exploring orality and literacy (vol. 9, pp. 91-117). Norwood, New Jersey:
Ablex.
Jaffe, A. (1993). Obligation, error, and authenticity: Competing cultural
principles in the teaching of Corsican. Journal of Linguistic Anthropology,
3(1), 99-114.
Johnson, R. K. (1983). Bilingual switching strategies: A study of the modes
of teacher-talk in bilingual secondary school classrooms in Hong Kong.
Language Learning and Communication, 2(3), 267-283.
Jordan, C. (1985). Translating culture: From ethnographic information to
educational program. Anthropology and Education Quarterly, 16(2), 105-123.
Jordon, C., & Jacob, E. (1987). Afterword: Where are we now? Anthropology
and Education Quarterly, 18(4), 365-367.
Kramsch, C. (1993). Context and culture in language teaching. Oxford:
Oxford University Press.
Lalik, R. (1996, April). Literacies as cultural connections: Case studies
of four Appalachian children Paper presented at the American Educational
Research Association Annual Meeting, April 8-12, 1996, New York. .
LCC. (1994). Special Issue: Classroom discourse in five African countries.
Language, Culture and Curriculum, 7(1),
Lensmire, T. J. (1996, April). The teacher as Dostoevskian Novelist Paper
presented at the American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting,
April 8-12, 1996, New York. .
McDermott, R. P. (1987). The explanation of minority school failure, again.
Anthropology and Education Quarterly, 18(4), 361-364.
Michaels, S. (1981). "Sharing time": Children's narrative styles and
differential access to literacy. Language in Society, 10(3), 423-442.
Michaels, S., & Collins, J. (1984). Oral discourse styles: Classroom
interaction and the acquisition of literacy. In D. Tannen (Ed.), Coherence
in spoken and written discourse (pp. 219-244). Norwood, N.J.: Ablex.
Nocon, H. (1995). [Review of the book Context and culture in language
teaching]. Mind, Culture, and Activity, 2(3), 224-226.
Ogbu, J. U. (1987). Variability in minority school performance: A problem
in search of an explanation. Anthropology and Education Quarterly, 18(4),
312-334.
Patthey-Chavez, G. G., & Clare, L. (?). Task, talk, and text: The influence
of instructional conversation on transitional bilingual writers Unpublished
manuscript. .
Patthey-Chavez, G. G., & Ferris, D. (?). Writing, conferencing, and the
weaving of multi-voiced texts in college composition. Unpublished
manuscript. .
Patthey-Chavez, G. G., & Gergen, C. (1992). Culture as an instructional
resource in the multiethnic composition classroom. Journal of Basic
Writing, 11(1), 75-96.
Patthey-Chavez, G. G., Clare, L., & Gallimore, R. (1995). Creating a
community of scholarship with instructional conversations in a transitional
bilingual classroom (15). National Center for Research on Cultural
Diversity and Second Language Learning.
Philips, S. U. (1972). Participant structures and communicative competence:
Warm Springs children in community and classroom. In C. Cazden, V. John, &
D. Hymes (Ed.), Functions of language in the classroom (pp. 370-394). New
York: Teachers College Press.
Philips, S. U. (1992). Colonial and postcolonial circumstances in the
education of Pacific peoples. Anthropology and Education Quarterly, 23, 73-82.
Rickford, J. R., & Rickford, A. E. (1995). Dialect readers revisited.
Linguistics and Education, 7(2), 107-128.
Scollon, R., & Scollon, S. B. K. (1984). Cooking it up and boiling it down:
Abstracts in Athabaskan children's story retellings. In D. Tannen (Ed.),
Coherence in spoken and written discourse (Norwood, N.J.: Ablex.
Sola, M., & Bennett, A. T. (1991). The struggle for voice: Narrative,
literacy, and consciousness in an East Harlem school. In C. Mitchell, & K.
Weiler (Ed.), Rewriting literacy: Culture and the discourse of the other
(pp. 35-55). New York: Bergin and Garvey.
Spina, S. U. (1995). Worlds together...words apart: Bridging cognition and
communication for second language learners through an authentic arts-based
curriculum. Language, Culture and Curriculum, 8(3), 231-247.
Spina, S. U. (1996, April). Truth, justice, and the PoMo way--Art as social
semiotic: Critical and cultural perspectives and their implications for
education Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association
Annual Meeting, April 8-12, 1996, New York. .
Tharp, R. G., & Gallimore, R. (1982). Inquiry process in program
development. Journal of Community Psychology, 10, 103-118.
Tharp, R. G., & Gallimore, R. (1988). Rousing minds to life: Teaching,
learning, and schooling in social context. Cambridge: Cambridge University
Press.
Tharp, R. G., Jordan, C., Speidel, G. E., Au, K. H., Klein, T. W., Calkins,
R. P., Sloat, K. C. M., & Gallimore, R. (1983?). Product and process in
applied developmental research: Education and the children of a minority.
In M. E. Lamb, A. L. Brown, & B. Rogoff (Ed.), Advances in developmental
psychology (vol. III, pp. 91-141). Hillsdale, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum.
Trueba, H. T., Guthrie, G. P., & Au, K. H.-P. (Eds.). (1981). Culture and
the bilingual classroom: Studies in classroom ethnography . Rowley, Mass.:
Newbury House.
Valencia, S. W. (1990). Assessment of students' ownership of literacy. The
Reading Teacher, 44(2), 154-156.
Watson-Gegeo, K. A., & Gegeo, D. W. (1992). Schooling, knowledge, and
power: Social transformation in the Solomon Islands. Anthropology and
Education Quarterly, 23(1), 10-29.