9.309, Sum: 'cookies'

John Konopak (jkonopak who-is-at ou.edu)
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 14:19:44 -0600 (CST)

Hola, froup--This fluttered in over the electronic transom recently wnd,
while it doesn't bear directly on the discussions that have been present to
attention on this list in the recent past (about which is the only past I
can know, vi a vis this group) I still thought it to be at least potentially
of if not vital importance, at least worthy of consideration to the froup,
given our dependence on the web and its inherent logics as mediating in our
interactions. Plus, it's just fun and interesting. Say Hi to Oscar!!!!

++++++BEGIN FWD'D MATERIAL+++++++++++++++++++++
>From: The LINGUIST List <linguist who-is-at linguistlist.org>
>Subject: 9.309, Sum: 'cookies'
>Comments: To: LINGUIST who-is-at listserv.linguistlist.org
>To: LINGUIST who-is-at LINGUIST.LDC.UPENN.EDU
>
>LINGUIST List: Vol-9-309. Tue Mar 3 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.
>
>Subject: 9.309, Sum: 'cookies'
>

>1)
>Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 17:13:23 +0000
>From: monika.bruendl who-is-at stud.uni-muenchen.de
>Subject: Summary: 'cookies'
>
>-------------------------------- Message 1 -------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 17:13:23 +0000
>From: monika.bruendl who-is-at stud.uni-muenchen.de
>Subject: Summary: 'cookies'

>Thanks to the many people who responded to my query as to the
>(metaphorical) meaning of the computer term 'cookie'. As so many of
>you responded, it's impossible for me to list everybody's message, so
>I'll sum up the main points instead.
>
>1.
>Most of you said that cookie comes from a program invented at MIT
>around 1970 called 'Cookie Monster' after the cookie monster from
>Sesame Street.
>Rich Alderson writes: >>The computer term "cookie" is
>derived, by means of a joke, from the Children's Television Workshop
>program _Sesame Street_. Many people are familiar with the Cookie
>Monster character and his unending search for cookies, in which he
>will say to anyone (often annoyingly) "Give me a cookie!" There was a
>computer program, first written for the DECSYSTEM-20, called COOKIE.
>When run on an unsuspecting person's account, it would from time to
>time break in to whatever they were doing and demand "Give me a
>cookie!" If the person typed "cookie" on the keyboard, the program
>went back to sleep. Anything else typed would result in a repeated
>"Give me a cookie!" The computer security term "cookie" for something
>given on demand to a remote host grew metaphorically from this
>practical joke program. It extended in sense from there to Web
>browsers and other programs.<<
>Related terms are "magic cookie","fortune cookie". A lot of you
>think that 'cookie' is a shortened form of 'magic cookie'. Karen
>Courtenay writes: >>The term cookies draws from a unix/programming
>concept of "magic cookies" also sometimes referred to as tokens.
>Tokens is perhaps a better term. In some ways a cookie is like a
>Passport that gets stamped as you enter various territories. Cookies
>are something a server gives to a client. And the client may show the
>information back to the server on subsequent pages, actions or
>visits.<<
>
>Thanks for everybody else who gave a similar explanation: Patrick
>Juola, Susanne Riehemann, Scott Waterman, Stephen Spackman, Gabor
>Fencsik, Martha McGinnis, Donald Pfister, John M. Lawler, John D.
>Stone and others. More information can be found at e.g.
>http://sagan.earthspace.net/jargon/ (The Hacker's Dictionary, for
> [...]
+ = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = +
| John Konopak, EDUC/ILAC,820 VanVleet Oval,U.of OK.Norman,OK73019|
|E-mail: jkonopak who-is-at ou.edu; Fax: 4053254061; phone:4053251498 |
| "You may not be able to change the world, but at least |
| you can embarrass the guilty." --Jessica Mitford (1917-1996) |
| "Those who can, must!" --Anonymous |
In a marketplace of ideas, there are going to be ideas that you find
abhorrent. The best thing to do is to respond to them.
--Barry Steinhardt, President,
Electronic Frontier Foundation