Re: space & gender

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 22:19:59 -0800

Ricardo -

muchas gracias. the different cultural organizations of "difference" are
quite fascinating, actually.
Your comments on the class structures of sexual identities

>Low midle class are more
>>"bisssexual": to be "man" means "put a stick in any bottom".

remind me of the film/documentary, "Paris is Burning", which explores the
class/race history of "Posing" ,- a classical "drag queen" act during New
York's late 1970s early 1980s...

it was specifically a practice cultivated in lower income Puerto Rican and
African-American communities;

and was quickly co-opted by upper-class New York Whites, and
turned into high-fashion art - literally de-politicizing something
which was, initially, a performance about racism, sexuality and class.

many thanks for your thoughts.
diane

At 6:04 PM 3/1/98, Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> At 4:46 PM 2/28/98, Ricardo Ottoni Vaz Japiassu wrote:
>> >Diane,
>> >
>> >I know "tomboys" and "faggy" are american slangs. As I'm not
>> >american and have nver been in USA I would be very pleased if you
>> >tell me what "tomboys" and "faggy" means.
>> >

>> Hi Ricardo -
>> these are indeed "slangy" terms. They refer to "girls" who "act" like boy=
>> (girls who run, climb, play sports, dress casual, wear sensible shoes);
>>
>> "faggy" boys is a painful and derogatory term used to describe
>> effeminate boys, usually boys who are "slight" in physical build,
>> and who aren't involved in typically "boy" activities -
>>
>> I ought to step on that slippery line between words and their speakers:
>>
>> particularly with the word "fag" - as a queer woman myself, I often use i=
>> affectionately, with my gay men friends; they refer to each other as fags=
,

>> and like "nigger", these are historically offensive term used to denigra=
te
>> difference.
>>
>> Black folks are deep in the discussions now, concerning the use of
>> "nigger", and what does it mean for black folks to refer to each other,
>> familiarly, as such;
>>
>> the same discussions take place in gay & lesbian groups - calling ourselv=
es
>> "queer"
>> is alleged to defuse the historically-assaultive intent of the word;
>> however, and this is the slippery slope,
>>
>> *who* may refer to *whom* as "what," of course, is at the heart of this.
>> I perhaps should not have used the terms "faggy" (although, oddly, "tombo=
y"
>> is not an insult, ...
>>
>> my thoughts on this have to do with the value of masculine culture.) For
>> boys to reject machisimo and "traditional" concepts of masculinity is far
>> more threatening
>> to masculine culture
>>
>> than when girls reject traditional "feminine" constructs:
>> in other words, when girls act like boys, it's okay... 'cause they are
>> embracing the masculine characteristics which
>> are so valued.
>>
>> It worsens considerably in high school. Tolerance for "tomboys" shifts
>> dramatically, to "dyke" and "lesbo" which are both intended, by
>> hetersexuals and/or homophobes
>> to denigrate the girl/woman, to chastise her for refusing "femininity";
>>
>> as well, for boys, it is worse, much worse. It isn't about hurt feelings =
by
>> this time, but about beatings, assault, and, many many many gay youth
>> choose suicide...because there is NO SPACE at all for them in this cultur=
e.
>> Testosterone my arse. Space is about politics.
>>
>> diane
>>
>> "Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right." Ani Difranco
>> diane celia hodges
>> faculty of education, centre for the study of curriculum and

l:
>> 3519 Hull Street
>>
>> Vancouver, BC, Canada V5N 4R8

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right." Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction,
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada

snailmail: 3519 Hull Street