Re: emotional bonds/education

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at UDel.Edu)
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 18:02:41 -0500

Hello everybody--

At 10:57 AM 2/12/98 +0000, Peter Smagorinsky wrote:
>There's a certain type of coach (Bob
>Knight of Indiana is perhaps the best known) who takes a militaristic
>approach to coaching. And while widely reviled, they often develop
>extremely intense, lifelong emotional relationships with their players,
>usually a consequence of the demanding and at times brutal efforts of the
>coach to challenge the players to reach a higher level of performance,
>which they ultimately appreciate even if they loathe them at the time they
>happen. I think that we need to take into account the full range of
>teaching approaches, even if they contradict our beliefs about what's best
>and even if some practices are quite different from our own.

Peter, thanks for your thought provoking example. I think it returns us
back to our discussion of best practices and values. I don't know may be
it is American pragmatism or something else but this is what I constantly
encounter here in US with strong conviction that BAD is ineffective while
GOOD is effective. And vice versa, if something is successful, it is good.
For me it is a very strange assumption. For me, BAD is not acceptable
because it is BAD and not because it may be ineffective for some desired
goals.

Some students may appreciate a coach who inflicted pain upon them later
when they enjoy their success. For me, it is entirely their own business
unless they had choice and freedom during this experience. However, I have
a problem with that if they were forced and coerced in it (even if they
later appreciate the gains of this coercion).

What do you think?

Eugene
Eugene Matusov
Willard Hall Educational Bldg., Room 206G
Department of Educational Studies
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716-2920

Phone: (302) 831-1266