Re: NUD*IST anyone?

Brian E. McNurlen (mcnurlen who-is-at students.uiuc.edu)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:57:47 -0500

We've been using NUDIST here for about five months to code transcripts from
4th grade classroom discussions. We made some novice mistakes that weren't
really the application's fault that cost us some time and effort, like not
using the correct unit of analysis and using symbols that could not be
indexed. We really would've appreciated if NUDIST could've been more
flexible about the former. Essentially a person needs to have a separate
project whenever you want to use a different unit of analysis. Simply put,
hard returns need to be placed after every unit of analysis, whether it's
the line, the sentence, the intonational unit. Very time-consuming.

One of the real selling points was the active discussion list. There are a
lot of users who post solutions very quickly. They also discuss many of
the nuts-and-bolts issues of concern to users of XMCA as well (like
transcribing, technologies for recording discussions, etc). I pasted
instructions for subscribing below:

To send a message to the QSR-Forum you must be subscribed at your current
address. Send your message to QSR-Forum who-is-at qsr.com.au
To unsubscribe from the QSR-Forum send email to
mailing-list-request who-is-at qsr.com.au with the words UNSUBSCRIBE QSR-FORUM in the
main body of text.
If you have any problems please send email to list-master who-is-at qsr.com.au

Brian McNurlen