Re: LSV and Defectology

Charles Bazerman (bazerman who-is-at humanitas.ucsb.edu)
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 11:29:15 -0800 (PST)

Mike Gerber has tracked out some of this.
See for example M. Gerber, V. Perelman, and N. Lopez-Reyna. 1991.
Assessment and Evaluation of Exceptional Children in the Soviet Union.
International Review of Research on Mental Retardation 17: 117-151.

He also gave us a more informal account in class. I will cc this to him
to see whether he wants to add anything.

On the issue of meaningful utterance within activity as the condition of
language learning, you might look at chapters 2 & 3 of Fundamentals of
Defectology. Also chapter 2 of van der Veer and Valsiner Vygotsky Reader,
"Principles of social education for deaf and dumb children in Russia"
goes over some of this ground.

Chuck