Re: cognitive apprenticeship

Sherry Marx (samarx who-is-at mail.utexas.edu)
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:47:48 -0600

Hi Rachel and Kathi, I found your discussion on the role of teacher as
learner very interesting. Here's my two sense. I taught ESL at different
language schools for a few years and then student taught in a high school,
English not ESL, before I started work on my Ph.D. My experience is that:

1) teachers so often have such little input in deciding what they're going
to be trained on, they're often disinterested in the subject matter.

2) because training & development is mandatory but outside the classroom
hours (usually), teachers are often resentful they have to go through it.

3) because so many teachers work in isolation, they're distrustful of
working in teams. Additionally, they don't respect what others offer in
the way of training because they are so used to relying only on themselves
for information and answers. Rachel, you brought this up in your
discussion. Most teachers can teach a whole week without talking to another
teacher if they don't want to.

4) I think it's hard to get teachers excited about training and
development because they are not treated as professionals in the larger
scope of things. Look at the education we demand of them, but look at the
salaries most teachers get. In most places in this country, teachers are
considered more vocational than professional. Professionals continually
upgrade their skills through workshops, retreats, etc. Professionals also
continually work with each other in teams to plan and make things happen.
Teachers are often just told what they have to do. I understand the
resentment.

Teachers and administrators need to work together better so they share in
the decision-making process. Also, they need to be treated (and paid) like
professionals, so they'll see the advantage of all the additional training
they are asked to partake in.

Just some thoughts. Sherry Marx