Re: cognitive apprenticeship

Naoki Ueno (nueno who-is-at nier.go.jp)
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 16:51:55 +0900

At 10:52 PM 1/17/98 -0500, Rachel Heckert wrote:
>Hi Richard and list,
>
>Although my formal education _for_ teaching is almost non-existent, I've
>been in the situation of training other people - or being trained - many
>times in work situations, and to a lesser extent teaching, so I make this
>offering in the spirit of naive empiricism.

Dear RacheL Heckert and others,

I sent the previous mail about coweaving and interaction at a workplace
before I read this your mail.
I think what you wrote is similar direction what I tried to write.

Definitely, coweaving contexts, interaction, mutual constituting contexts,
and as such will slip away from one's hand by using the dichotomy of guiding
and direct instruction. Actually, what people call "direct instruction"
can be regarded as a kind of coweaving although it is, in some sense, a very
specific interaction and asymmetry in intearction is locally organized
and visible there.
Because, without participation of the other side and collaborative coweaving
the context of "direct instruction" or asymmetrical interaction, it is
impossible
to organize such context.

Thanks a lot for your empiricism.

Naoki Ueno