Re: Re(2): Discourse structures

Rachel Heckert (heckertkrs who-is-at juno.com)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:05:42 -0500

Marty and listers,

But that's just the point! Writing in school is performing a set task
with no meaning outside of performing the task for the sake of receiving
a (hopefully favorable) evaluation, i.e. an good grade. There is usually
no further purpose or use to it. This we were all inured to by the time
we escaped from high school. One might call this text production for
its own sake, or discourse for discourse's sake. HOWEVER....

Whatever else the xmca community is, I assume it isn't fictitious, and
that the very real people who belong to it are doing very real things
somewhere out there on the planet beyond the immediate ken of my
computer!

Another angle to the question: Am I _talking with_ you or _writing to_
you? The short response-time frame and ease of communication make it
feel ambiguous.

Rachel