confused in Colorado

Phillip Allen White (pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu)
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 20:30:47 -0700 (MST)

Hello, everybody - still yet again.

On Sat,
10 Jan 1998, Eugene Matusov wrote:
> I want to clarify my position a bit. I don't mean that I reject the notion
> of "the best practice" per se although there is some danger to substitute
> "practice" as dynamic, distributed, contextual, and emergent process to
> "practice" as a thing or a tool or even a mechanism. I reject the notion of
> "the best practice" as unspecified term like "fifty is a big number".

Yes, Eugene, this makes a great deal of sense so me - and I'd
like to suggest that the "dynamic, distributed, contextual, and emergent
process" is much larger than the isolated classroom.

As a unit of analysis, the teacher, the student, the classroom,
all need to be scaled within the multiple systems that education is a mere
part of.

And, I think that the best way for researchers and university
teachers to get a handle of the total scale and how the individual
teacher, student, classroom is a part of far greater and smaller systems
is for those practitioners to research their own practice within their own
immediate situation/context, rather than moving out of it and presuming
that they can do so in another educational context.

What do you think?

phillip
pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu