Re: Discourse structures

Carol Berkenkotter (cberken who-is-at mtu.edu)
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 18:07:31 -0400

Greg,
Perhaps the most useful book for understanding face to face communicative
genres (in activity structures) within academic disciplines still is Jay
Lemke's _Talking Science: Language Learning and Values_, 1990 Ablex.
There are some other general introductory books on the subject including
Green and Wallat's _Ethnography and language in Educational Settings_, 1981
and L.C. Wilkinson's (1982) Communicating in the Classroom.

There are quite a few books and articles on _written_ genres of graduate
and undergraduate education coming from a number of different fields.
Recently there are a number of collections in the field of English for
Academic Purposes (L2 English) If you are interested in this material, let
me know-- I'll add some titles to Chuck Bazerman's list But my sense is
that you are mainly interested in FTF communicative genres.

Carol Berkenkotter