Re: confused in california

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 21:08:14 -0800

At 10:53 AM 1/7/98, Katherine Goff wrote:

>I think that teachers need most to learn how to observe and critically,
>compassionately evaluate themselves. Not how to copy some "best practice."

...even if you know that, say, dialogue is more useful than
monologue? that constructivism is more productive than drill?

Yous ay teachers "need most to learn..." - in terms of action, say, if you
wanted to do something locally which might make use of what you know about
how teaching works,

then it isn't about only what the teachers "need to learn"; but about
what a school community needs to put in place to make possible

kinds of dialogic interactions; kinds of communicative possibilities which
traditional classroom structures prohibit...

>When I write about my research, I try not to assume that my
>understanding/interpretation of the data is the one that a reader _should_
>somehow 'get.' I do _not_ want to be responsible for anyone being forced to
>teach a prescribed content using a prescribed method. I do hope that
>teachers will hear something meaningful in my description of my
>understanding and incorporate that into their teaching in ways meaningful
>to them.

in terms of the dissemination of information; that is, passing on
information-knowledge about what you think, isn't it possible to take more
responsibility for what gets written?

>Sometimes I do worry that this attitude is an attempt to escape from the
>responsibility of the impossibility of teaching.

oh yes. oh yes. this is the paralysis, I think, of practice. me too, I find
myself retreating to this position often: fear of doubt, for me, is not as
great as my fears of certainty.
diane