Re: confused in california

Katherine Goff (Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Wed, 07 Jan 1998 10:53:00 -0700

mike writes:
> Its just that so much of the response so far says that
>we should not be taking responsibility for the study of the effects
>of our interventions or observations of others' interventions that it
makes me wonder what we do take responsibility for.

I struggle with this one almost daily.

I believe that children should be granted the responsibility for their own
learning. I try not to assume that burden/prize when I teach, but neither
do I blindly ignore the expections of my principal, fellow teachers,
parents, or the children themselves.

I also have to remind myself that complex systems are not linearly causal
and I can not ever claim to have successfully caused learning to happen.

I resist at every opportunity (too cautiously, perhaps) any attempt to link
a particular method, or even standard, with learning in a causal way. I do
not want to be forced to fit some generalized mold, and I don't want to
make anyone else do that. I try to think and speak in terms of creating
contexts that allow the greatest possibilities for the participants acting
within those contexts to learn.

I think that teachers need most to learn how to observe and critically,
compassionately evaluate themselves. Not how to copy some "best practice."

When I write about my research, I try not to assume that my
understanding/interpretation of the data is the one that a reader _should_
somehow 'get.' I do _not_ want to be responsible for anyone being forced to
teach a prescribed content using a prescribed method. I do hope that
teachers will hear something meaningful in my description of my
understanding and incorporate that into their teaching in ways meaningful
to them.

Sometimes I do worry that this attitude is an attempt to escape from the
responsibility of the impossibility of teaching.

Kathie

Life's backwards,
Life's backwards,
People, turn around.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Sinead O'Connor and John Reynolds
Fire on Babylon: Universal Mother^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Katherine_Goff who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu
http://ouray.cudenver.edu/~kegoff/index.html