Re: methodology and social good

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 12:16:38 -0800

the idea that "methodology" is privately maintained, here, describes more
the interaction between researcher & researched;
that is, the methodology is not "up for grabs" ; not open to
negotiation -
surely in our research we must all

invest our work with rationals which justify our methods?
is this rational ever part of the evolution of a research paradigm? I don't
see it:
the paradigms pre-exist the research;
the methodologies pre-organize the "data" : and while yes there is MUCH to
learned
this way, that is, these approaches are useful in certain ways,

it does remain distinct from the researcher's engagements with the
researched. for example, obviously no researcher "teaches" the researched

about "methodology" before engaging in a reserarch study. Some may
share their writing and analysis after-the-fact, "do you agree?"/"have I
got this right?"/ but , hm. Nope. I still need to think about this. ok. so.
this is me thinking.

;-)
diane

At 1:39 PM 11/23/97, Eugene Matusov wrote:
<BIG snip>

>Diane wrote,
>>what I am hearing/reading here, in the writings from Jay, Martin, Bill
>>and youself, is a belief(desire) that a person
>>
>>can support ways for the research/practice be collectively shared,
>
>I'd say "that a person can TRY to support...." Of course, by the word
>"shared" I'd not mean "having in common" but engagement in collaborative and
>respectful goal development and decision making that may or may not to
>agreements/common solutions and goals.
>
>>and yet ratioalize ways for the
>>the methological structure to be privately maintained. Or am I
>misinterpeting?
>
>No, sorry, but I'm not sure I can recognize myself in these two lines. I
>think that methodology is a way of communication rather than private affair.
>Somebody is saying, "your research is sloppy, because..." and I reply, "no,
>it is not because..." And so on... It is true that we do anticipate such
>discourse in advance but it does not become more private because of that. I
>argue that methodology is a discourse that shapes our research rather a set
>of rules that we (privately) have chosen to follow. Publish (i.e.,
>communicate) or perish! (How sad....)
>
>What do you think?
>
>Eugene
>------------------------------------
>Eugene Matusov
>Willard Hall#206G
>Department of Educational Studies
>University of Delaware
>Newark, DE 19716, USA
>phone: (302) 831-1266
>fax: (302) 831-4445
>email: ematusov who-is-at UDel.edu
>web: http://www.ematusov.com

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right."
Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada
tel: (604)-253-4807
email: dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca