Re: methodology and social good

diane celia hodges (dchodges who-is-at interchg.ubc.ca)
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 14:37:41 -0800

At 3:08 PM 11/21/97, Eugene Matusov wrote:

(on institutions:)

>What do I mean by "breathing freely". I guess participants' collaboration
>on goal development supported by the institutional structures. Shared
>ownership of problems, affiliation by participation... What else?... Respect
>and mutuality in problem solving...

(and then, on methodology: )

At 3:27 PM 11/22/97, Eugene Matusov wrote:

>In other words, 'analyses that are directed towards "people in general"' are
>can be OK under certain circumstances that are unique and specific by
>themselves. The notion of "being OK" is itself negotiable but neither
>relative nor arbitrary. I think it is important to focus on "who is talking
>to whom about what and for what purpose." Let methodological genre to fly
>freely.

<snip>
> Can we succeed without changing
>institutions we live? I doubt....

I think, from what you write, Eugene, that "changing the institutions"
requires more of the cooperative/respectful/efforts to cultivate mutuality/

affiliations you describe; and these, taking place within contexts of
methodology.

what I am hearing/reading here, in the writings from Jay, Martin, Bill
and youself, is a belief(desire) that a person

can support ways for the research/practice be collectively shared,

and yet ratioalize ways for the
the methological structure to be privately maintained. Or am I misinterpeting?
diane

"Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right."
Ani Difranco
diane celia hodges
faculty of education
university of british columbia
vancouver, bc canada
tel: (604)-253-4807
email: dchodges who-is-at interchange.ubc.ca