Re: genre: clarification

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:35:43 -0500

I'm breaking my e-mail rule...

I wrote:
>instances whose situatedness is not easily defined.

By that, I did not mean to suggest that the situatedness
of any event were questionable, but that the parameters
of a situation could be "fuzzy" - for whatever reason...
no precedents for it shared among participants, I suppose.

Back to working,
Judy

>I wonder if Paul agrees with Jay.
>I wonder if Jay is suggesting that the notion of register (??) may
>describe similarities between action and text when the action isn't
>structured by any simple/single genre. Or if he's referring to instances
>whose situatedness is not easily defined. And in either case, what the
>example(s) in mind might be.

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183