Re: Individual and Community Analyses

Phillip Allen White (pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu)
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 20:44:54 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Martin Packer wrote:

> One question I've been asking myself over the past few years is what an
> analysis is intended to produce. Theory? And what is theory-a set of
> assertions? An abstraction from the concrete? Academic capital? Or, as
> Alan Blum has suggested, is it the theorist reinventing him/herself?
> (Blum, A. (1970). Theorizing. In J. Douglas (Ed.), Understanding everyday
> life, Chicago: Aldine.)

Martin, thanks for the reference. I anticipate a pleasant read
there, since it is a rather prevalent question in my class - What's the
value of theory? - so, I'm hoping for an additional perspective.

Like you, I'm working to effect my efforts in research - teacher
inquiry - as also participatory research. But, from a different lens.
When working with students about how to construct their research, one
question is: Will this research use theory as its practice, or will this
research attempt to produce theory?

The research I described on Sunday's posting is an attempt to use
theory - CHAT in this case - as a way to construct the research, construct
my teaching, construct the activities of the classroom. So, I am
intrigued by the work you're doing that's pointing towards theory.

What are some theoretical suggestions that you're beginning to see
appear?

phillip

pwhite who-is-at carbon.cudenver.edu